Saturday, September 12, 2009

Yee Haw


20 x 16 Oil on Canvas

I had been wanting to paint this young roper for a while and just couldn't work it in. Michelle's Western Theme for Following the Masters...was just the boost it took! This is my second entry celebrating the west, the first being the old master copy. For my personal challenge with this one, larger brushes, less detailed drawing to start, thicker paint...well...you get the picture! Miles out of my comfort zone! Have been keeping up with Dave Darrow and Susan Carlin on their U-stream broadcasts. They make it look so easy! Anyway...need more days to take it to my usual detailed style...but am pleased and stopping right here. (At least for now). There is more detail in the face than shows, however, since he's "moving"...maybe less is better? The challenge ends Tuesday. Thank's Michelle! Can't wait to see what's next!

13 comments:

  1. Rosemary, this is gorgeous! I've yet to figure out how to do details in oil. I am a detail queen and I think that I ruin my attempts at art with the trying. I so admire those who can add that bit of finesse to their paintings. I often find myself wondering if any of my new artist friends will be remembered for their pieces one day. Your work is truly masterful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have done it again.Great movement, great color. Should be a great addition to the challenge. You are one of the best. Silvia

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you AutumnLeaves! I know exactly what you mean by trying to go too far with the details...but...that's what I enjoy in other's work as well! So glad you like my paintings! Appreciate your comments very much!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Silvia! You are such a loyal fan! You and I belong to a mutal admiration society! Thanks so much for the comments! Aren't these challenges fun!

    ReplyDelete
  5. A nice sense of motion in this painting. You can feel him coming forward swinging the lasso.

    ReplyDelete
  6. rosemary.. WOW!!!! love your style... love the movement you were able to achieve.. thisis awesome.. actually they both were, way to go!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks Cindi and Jim! I hoped the use of the diagonal in the background would help create movement...It was fun painting the horse and a struggle painting the cowboy!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is so fun! I love the dynamic action. Wonderful work.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh Thank you, Liz! This means so much coming from you! Appreciate it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you for your kind comments on my blog Rosemary! This piece is amazing - I love the blue against your rust background. I can almost feel the flannel and denim. Great work!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks Deb! It's always fun visiting your blog! I'm glad you like Yee Haw. That palette is a favorite.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Rosemary, well done! You have nice shapes and colors. Applause!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh! Thank you Jo! So glad you like it.

    ReplyDelete