Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Just Kids


20" x 16" Pastel

Last week I received a call from a collector who had purchased an early pastel quite a few years ago from one of my very first shows. She was redecorating and wanted to move the painting into a room with lots of light and wondered if I would help her reframe it using non-glare glass. I can't tell you how excited it was to find this piece not only still exists but is valued! It was a bit emotional seeing it again - like running into an old friend. Resisting the temptation to grab a few pastel sticks and go back into the piece was quite a challenge since improvements (corrections) could easily be made and the work strengthened with just a stroke or two! A reminder by my husband that this lady is enjoying her painting "just the way it is" kept me at bay. (Actually he was a bit firmer than that... like... "Don't you dare!") I didn't. With fresh mats and a lovely new frame it's back on her wall without the glare and she's coming back to select another painting to hang along with it!

14 comments:

  1. You always beautifully and with lots of details. Lovely Rosemary!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great story. Congratulations on being reunited with the painting .. for a while! It tells a great story.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rosemary is a big thing. Which artists are lucky enough to restore their own work. It must be a wonderful feeling, and perhaps a very special. By the way, the picture is very beautiful. No wonder that the owner can pamper him.
    Congratulations

    ReplyDelete
  4. Rosemary, this is such a fabulous story! I love this painting and am not surprised that the connoisseur is still enjoying the piece. I am glad your husband held firm on his stance! LOLOL Honestly, this piece brings a bit of mist that I am trying to swallow. It is just so moving and touching to me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Megha, thank you! Your comments always brighten my day!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Jo! It was fun seeing the painting again and thinking about how It might have turned out if painted now after years more practice! I REALLY wanted to go to work on it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Jana, Thank you -I'm so glad you like the painting and it was enjoyable giving it a brand new look!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sherry, to add to this painting's story - At this age our first grandson looked just like the little boy in the painting! Of course the painting preceeded his birth by at least three years, however, upon seeing a photo of the painting, it's often assumed our grandson was the model!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a super story, Rosemary, and the piece is lovely. I'm so glad you listened to your husband regarding leaving it just the way it is. Thank you, too, for the moving pelican piece--both your passion and mastery show in it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Mary, thanks for stopping by and for your comments! I appreciate every word!

    ReplyDelete
  11. mary,

    the story is as interesting as your painting...
    happy to read and happy to watch...
    congrats...

    ReplyDelete
  12. Rosemary, your husband sounds just like mine. I'm glad you didn't touch it. It is beautiful as is. Your style probably evolved a little...but he's right...they like it just as it is.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you, Jyothisethu. I appreciate your comments and encouragement.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks, Pat. I'm glad I left it "as is" too. Wish I had hought to get better photos. Seeing this piece again reminded me how much I used to enjoy pastels.

    ReplyDelete