Monday, October 23, 2017

RETURN TO BLACKWATER POND

                                                      24" x 12" Oil on Stretched Canvas

How dare I attempt to paint  water lilies after Monet's exquisite  impressionist series of approximately 250 oil paintings!   I suppose  the urge just got the better of me!   Actually this is my third piece in what might become my own humble series...

There is something so tranquil in  looking out over a calm pond or lake surface and admiring the pads and the lotus blossoms these plants produce ranging in color from white to pink, yellow, red or (in some tropical species) even blue or purple.   Lily pads bring color and life to their quiet freshwater homes as they provide hiding places for frogs, which are susceptible to underwater predators such as fish or water snakes, and they  provide shade for fish and other underwater species.  Aquatic dragonflies abound displaying their fairy-like double winged beauty as they glide among the pads where they feed and the female lays her eggs.

For another painting, white or yellow blossoms are calling me and a dragonfly will no doubt be present!  I shall again return to Blackwater Pond.

2 comments:

  1. This is painted so beautifully Rosemary. I have a koi pond in my backyard and during the Spring and Summer I sit and enjoy watching them. Unfortunately during hurricane Sandy we lost a few.... I also love your previous teapot painting....it was a treat seeing your work again!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very beautiful, Rosemary. A series does appear in your future. Great idea.

    ReplyDelete