Tuesday, June 27, 2017

CAROLINA VISTA




23" x 47" Acrylic on Gesso Board

                                                              Over the Love Seat

Another one for us - We've had this lovely frame in the attic and, since we needed to change out some paintings upstairs, why not do a "Couch Painting"?

How many times have we had instructors tell us to leave  "Couch Art" to the department stores as it's considered "decorative" and not "fine" art?   I've heard that a few times and always received that tip with a smile.  Of course we want our paintings hung wherever the collector will most enjoy them - over the sofa or in the bathroom - who cares?

Anyway, that said - time to plan (or just start painting).  I do NOT recommend starting a painting journey without a map - but that's pretty much just what I did!  You know by now how much I enjoy painting walking paths - and mountains - and water - so with a piece of charcoal, I  started up the path.  Our neighbor has a lovely terraced area below her cabin and I was much influenced by that.  Our own Balsam Shadows Road is always inspiration and parts of it have shown up before in my work.

I would under paint in acrylic and finish with oil.  I had forgotten how enjoyable acrylic can be - and more and more the results were pleasing.  No oil.

Soon it was clear  the path and the river were going to fight each other for attention (what did I say about a map?)   The goal was a serene scene and I really didn't want to plan a specific focal area.  To solve the path/river dilemma,  the path was developed for your eye to follow - it is blocked but then comes back in two more times leading you into the mountains.  What fun it would have been to develop that river too!  Stones or logs underwater, sparkling  ripples and little waterfalls - how I fought the temptation!

Is it finished?  Are they ever?  But it's over the love seat and we are enjoying it!

7 comments:

  1. Dear Rosemary - seems like it has been some time since I last visited. Your painting is so beautiful. I am not sure why anyone would tell someone to not hang a wonderful original piece behind their couch. Just love it. The colors are divine and lovely. Hope you are having a great summer thus far. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Debbie! So good hearing from you, and thanks so much for the sweet comments. I think the "couch art" has to do with artists worrying more about matching colors, etc. than concentrating on the overall painting as a fine art creation. When it comes down to it, isn't (almost) all art decorative?

      I'm eager to head over to Harmony Hills and see what you have been up to! Happy Summer to you and your family!

      Delete
  2. This is beautifully painted Rosemary!!!! I've never painted with acrylics but so many of my friends are switching as a change! I have some from when my Dad was here. He painted with acrylics as well as watercolors, you painted a beautiful scene and it looks awesome on the wall.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you, Hilda!! Oh, I do hope you will give the acrylics a whirl! They will never replace oil as my true love but more and more often I'm using them as a first draft for the oils.

    I have a beautiful supply of pastels (not nearly enough of course) but enough to get back to playing with them once in a while. Needless to say, your work is great inspiration!

    Thanks again for your sweet comments! Happy Painting!

    ReplyDelete
  4. A big THANK YOU to Zena K., Ileane T., Linda Tugman J., Wanda C., and Harriet S. for their welcome emails and texts commenting on this blog post. I love and appreciate each one of you and your interest!

    ReplyDelete