Monday, March 16, 2009

Varnishing Darian's Dream


Today I am putting a final varnish on this portrait sketch of my great niece, Darian. (detail - 24" x 18" oil on wood panel.) At four years old, Darian wanted to dance. That was her big dream. I wanted to play with creating special lighting and thought putting Darian in an imaginary setting under bright lights holding her pet rabbit, Snowflake, would be fun! It was...not sure it was a total success...but was fun! The painting isn't quite as "hot" as the photo...but almost! Now at five years old, Darian is dancing.

I am using Grumbacher Damar Varnish. I place the painting flat, wear a glove, and use a soft scrap of tee-shirt rag. Starting in the center of the painting and working outward, I rub the varnish onto the painting and leave to dry. This method seems to work best for me. I like shine!

No comments:

Post a Comment