Thursday, January 28, 2010

Playing Again


6" x 6" oil on prepared masonite

Over the weekend, I completed one portrait and started another. The new one, a mother and baby, is slowly coming along and I'm really enjoying the journey but needed another little break from details! Soooo...since this arrangement was still on the table why not another fast study - same palette - same attitude. No timer set for this one. Had to take time out for dog training, running errands, etc. but total painting time was probably no more than two hours yesterday.

Well...sometimes they work, sometimes not quite. However, mission accomplished in that I'm ready to get back to details! Will be posting the portraits soon. In the meantime, these loose "play time" paintings could be habit forming!

10 comments:

  1. I like this one even better than the last, Rosemary! There is a lushness and a vibrancy to the veggies that now have me craving salad or cole slaw. I am just too easily drawn into food paintings! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Sherry! I'm drawn into food paintings too! Remember all those cupcakes you artists painted? I didn't do that challenge 'cause I knew I would have to indulge myself for "mood"! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is so dynamic! Love the bold colors and the way the veggies spill into the canvas. Beautiful lush brushwork and great color combos!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Gwen, when I decided to paint this quickly, I had no idea it would be worthy of posting. For a fast little exercise, I surprised myself!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really like the composition, Rosemary. It really puts the emphasis on the still life. By the way, I also have the still life book by Leon Franks in my library. Great book!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow Rosie, you did it again. Very colorful, dynamic and apppealing. I usually like to eat my food still lifes. Can't blame you . Silvia

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for visiting my blog and for your comments. It's neat to know that you found me through the CCAL web site. I hope you do visit us soon. I used to show at the VAC but things got too busy around here. Jan

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you Pat! I understand Leon Frank's works are not in great demand and the prices have remained low at auction? He was a master in my eyes! I'm sure I still have the book somewhere as well as the cover painting which I did early on - 24" x 18" and so enjoyed!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you Sil! I appreciate your comments! This one wasn't too tempting since the produce was plastic! Now real pears and grapes - yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Jan - glad you stopped by! I really enjoy your blog and plan to go there often! Trust you enjoyed your workshop with Don Andrews this week! Maybe I will make it to Cape Coral within the next couple of weeks!

    ReplyDelete