Monday, May 11, 2020

BIG SISTER

                                                         
                                                              14" X 11" Oil on Canvas

Naming a painting - I wonder if others struggle to find a perfect title to illustrate the inspiration, feelings and emotion that go into our works?

The photo of Jackson's first day of school and his big sister Jordan's attention to him has been in a "to do" file for a long time.  These two are older now and their family experienced some serious health issues last summer.  It was then I knew the time was right to finally capture this special moment for their grandmother, a collector of my paintings.   The painting was shipped  last week and her reaction brought joyful tears to my eyes! 

Among the title considerations were NEW BEGINNINGS (a show was planned and cancelled with that name at our local art center). This would have been my entry.  Maybe HIS GUARDIAN?  FIRST DAY OF SCHOOL?  Somehow BIG SISTER seemed to tell the story; however, that makes the painting more about Jordan while it was Jackson's first day of school...and so I ponder... Your thoughts, comments and suggestions would be welcome.  How do you decide on a title?

4 comments:

  1. SO beautiful. Looks like a photo and YET!!! I started a painting years ago of my husband taking my granddaughter to school. She was about 10 ? She is now 22... yikkes!!
    Deciding on a title of a painting is not easy. You want it to mean something so it takes you to that moment. Maybe something like Special moment with sister....Forever friends....
    STAY SAFE

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Hilda! I would love to see your painting! Have you ever posted it? Thanks for your title suggestions! I decided to let the grandmother name it - she kept it BIG SISTER.

      Delete
  2. So beautiful and full of sentiment. “One Step at a Time”
    “Here We Go ….” “Hang On” “You’ll be OK"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Jo! I love "One Step at a Time" - fits the painting perfectly! Actually all four of the suggestions are great! Why couldn't I think of those???

      Delete